Title: Assistant Professor
1. How long have you worked at Wichita State?
Almost three years. I joined WSU in September 2012.
2. Where did you work before you worked at Wichita State?
I was a graduate at University of Illinois, and I was a research scientist at State Farm Insurance Company.
3. Alma Mater:
University of Illinois, Peking University.
4. Research areas of interest:
Engineering psychology, driving safety, aviation psychology, virtual reality, mobile devices, wearable devices, Google Glass, smartwatch, eye-tracking, usability, human computer interaction.
5. Classes taught:
Computer Applications for Social Scientists; General Psychology;System and Theories.
6. What spurred the development of this technology/innovation/research?
I have always been interested in coding and usability. I have been developing usability tools ever since I worked for Microsoft back in 2006. Many usability researchers need tools for their data collection. They have to rely on time-consuming video coding without an automated data-logging tool. Thus, I hope to develop a data-logging toolkit to make their life much better.
7. Who do you envision as potential or ideal licensees?
I am going to sell the tool via my social network, alumni, and professional association in the usability and human computer interaction field.
8. What does Innovation Campus mean to you?
I love the Innovation Campus idea. It encourages more innovative work and I feel like my work is more valued. I appreciate the generous support from the president, the dean, chair and my colleagues.
9. When did you become interested in your profession?
I decided on my profession when I did usability work for Microsoft. I coded the interface and conducted usability studies for two search engines in 2006.
10. Where is your favorite place on campus?
My driving simulator and the dining hall.
11. What is the best thing about being a Shocker?
I love the color of the Shocker! This is the best place to have my career.
12. Favorite lunch spot:
The new dining hall. It makes my life much better.
Coding, swimming, running, flying.